Post  Oldwick on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:05 pm

In fact my two years old daughter knows better iPhone than me.... Wink

For example... What is that button for? Never knew it... Very Happy

Oldwick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OE to return in 10 days or so

Post  Thoth Amon on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:09 pm

It's @paulhutson. Put that into discover and the thread will come up. I'm nearly 50 and my 6 year old son is more tech savvy than me.

Thoth Amon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil McCrackin on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:30 pm

Proteus Heaton wrote:I think we need to get the game up and the income flowing before we try to add new stuff, but as Helio said the more new stuff before the game starts is better publicity...it is a dilemma.

That's where I will disagree with you and everyone else thinking this way. I have 20+ years of IT experience and one thing that I know is users get set in their ways. You can try to bring in a new system but if they don't want to learn a new way of doing things more efficiently because somehow the old way suits them just fine they will push and be resistant. Guys are screaming to get OE back up. IT DIED! It had problems. If you relaunch a dead game you are a fool. You name me 1 gaming company that has taken a game that reached the end of its run playwise and financially then relaunched it 6 months after its death and made it work? Every one of those online games had hangers on that just could not move on so there were still players. If it was a good concept, they created a sequel to it to draw the burned out players back and continue on. A prime example is the Call of Duty series.

This game is currently dead and you have no users in there banging around in the servers. This is the perfect time to to "beta" an OE-2 where the developers make a lot of changes to the code and game play with a group of testers. I am sure everyone here would love to play with the new toys and work with Paul on the test box to make an even better game.

If we do a straight relaunch of the old game and the old crew come back paying higher prices then we are asking Paul to sacrifice his time and money for a temporary fix to our boredom. The higher prices will discourage newbies from staying and will eventually drive away the hardcore returns. We need to be working with Paul on development of an even more successful version of the game that will attract and retain a much larger (paying) player base.
Phil McCrackin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rayjan Deja on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Check out my post on possible OE changes :3

Rayjan Deja

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thoth Amon on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:42 pm

I am hoping that any relaunch will include a lot of testing as relaunching without any change would be daft. The game needs a lot of changes and now is the time, if Paul is willing that is.

Thoth Amon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Vaughn Chisholm on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:46 pm

/me agrees with pretty much everything in Phil's last two posts

workers and resource shuffling were incredibly tedious, lessening the burden of maintaining this would appeal to a broader fanbase and help it along. As it stands, that aspect of the game is only appealing to control freaks and micromanagers (like myself).

Vaughn Chisholm

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ref Minor on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:35 pm

Phil McCrackin wrote:
Proteus Heaton wrote:I think we need to get the game up and the income flowing before we try to add new stuff, but as Helio said the more new stuff before the game starts is better publicity...it is a dilemma.

That's where I will disagree with you and everyone else thinking this way. I have 20+ years of IT experience and one thing that I know is users get set in their ways. You can try to bring in a new system but if they don't want to learn a new way of doing things more efficiently because somehow the old way suits them just fine they will push and be resistant. Guys are screaming to get OE back up. IT DIED! It had problems. If you relaunch a dead game you are a fool. You name me 1 gaming company that has taken a game that reached the end of its run playwise and financially then relaunched it 6 months after its death and made it work? Every one of those online games had hangers on that just could not move on so there were still players. If it was a good concept, they created a sequel to it to draw the burned out players back and continue on. A prime example is the Call of Duty series.

This game is currently dead and you have no users in there banging around in the servers. This is the perfect time to to "beta" an OE-2 where the developers make a lot of changes to the code and game play with a group of testers. I am sure everyone here would love to play with the new toys and work with Paul on the test box to make an even better game.

If we do a straight relaunch of the old game and the old crew come back paying higher prices then we are asking Paul to sacrifice his time and money for a temporary fix to our boredom. The higher prices will discourage newbies from staying and will eventually drive away the hardcore returns. We need to be working with Paul on development of an even more successful version of the game that will attract and retain a much larger (paying) player base.

I agree with Phil, if changes are possible I would rather wait a few months and do a beta with full wipe before a release. Otherwise any change after release will drive away a particular section of the playerbase. There is no hurry, we have waited 6 months another 2 or 3 with newly added hope won't kill us.

Ref Minor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Zelkova on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:34 am

I am really happy that the game is returning! I started playing a few months after the game released, my IGN was Bestulzibar. I was decently active in the chat, not sure if anyone remembers me or not. Anyway, let me offer this to the discussion:

I had a decent foothold in the game before I left due to real world problems. I was ranked ~50 in XP, and was flying my shiny battleship around at a time when very few people had DN's, and the majority of the galaxy was unexplored except for the "XP Highway", that little commonwealth cluster thing, and the few stations around GOV sectors. Anyhow, that's about the time when I left.

I came back probably around 4 months later and, for lack of a better term, I was... disappointed. Space stations were a dime a dozen. There were stations everywhere. Pretty much every colony spot that was endowed with resources was claimed by one of the large factions. For me, that really killed the mystery of the game, the desire to explore, build, and sell; to manage your own little space career. Everything was already explored. I couldn't build/sell without colony income, and I couldn't find any decent colonies. I could still do combat and stuff, but missions get boring after a while.

The game was more fun when space stations were a rarity. When 2 or 3 factions didn't more or less dominate the game. When casual players like me, being members of small factions, could get a few decent colonies.

I guess what I'm saying is, the OE that I loved and enjoyed was gone when I came back to it. Maybe it's just because I wasn't there while all that expansion went on, but it seems like it happened too fast.

I am all for a full reset, because building yourself up and making a name for yourself is all what this game is about for me. That was the best part: the next level; saving for that new ship; the thrill of passing through open systems and wondering if a pirate would jump in at anytime. I can honestly say that this is the most fun I have had in any game.

Having said that, I think this game would be a lot more fun if these problems were fixed. That is, limit the number of members per faction to ~10. Limit how fast stations can be placed by making them increase in price exponentially or simply capping the number of stations a faction can have. Do something to make colonies more accessible to newer players who don't want to join one of the big factions. That being said, I can't wait to play again (hopefully starting from scratch), and hope that some ideas will be taken into consideration to prolong the life and fun factor of OE.

Zak Zelkova

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ref Minor on Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:02 am

Zak Zelkova wrote:I am really happy that the game is returning! I started playing a few months after the game released, my IGN was Bestulzibar. I was decently active in the chat, not sure if anyone remembers me or not. Anyway, let me offer this to the discussion:

I had a decent foothold in the game before I left due to real world problems. I was ranked ~50 in XP, and was flying my shiny battleship around at a time when very few people had DN's, and the majority of the galaxy was unexplored except for the "XP Highway", that little commonwealth cluster thing, and the few stations around GOV sectors. Anyhow, that's about the time when I left.

I came back probably around 4 months later and, for lack of a better term, I was... disappointed. Space stations were a dime a dozen. There were stations everywhere. Pretty much every colony spot that was endowed with resources was claimed by one of the large factions. For me, that really killed the mystery of the game, the desire to explore, build, and sell; to manage your own little space career. Everything was already explored. I couldn't build/sell without colony income, and I couldn't find any decent colonies. I could still do combat and stuff, but missions get boring after a while.

The game was more fun when space stations were a rarity. When 2 or 3 factions didn't more or less dominate the game. When casual players like me, being members of small factions, could get a few decent colonies.

I guess what I'm saying is, the OE that I loved and enjoyed was gone when I came back to it. Maybe it's just because I wasn't there while all that expansion went on, but it seems like it happened too fast.

I am all for a full reset, because building yourself up and making a name for yourself is all what this game is about for me. That was the best part: the next level; saving for that new ship; the thrill of passing through open systems and wondering if a pirate would jump in at anytime. I can honestly say that this is the most fun I have had in any game.

Having said that, I think this game would be a lot more fun if these problems were fixed. That is, limit the number of members per faction to ~10. Limit how fast stations can be placed by making them increase in price exponentially or simply capping the number of stations a faction can have. Do something to make colonies more accessible to newer players who don't want to join one of the big factions. That being said, I can't wait to play again (hopefully starting from scratch), and hope that some ideas will be taken into consideration to prolong the life and fun factor of OE.
Hey Best, i remember you, I used to fly under the name Nick Succorso, you were a great pilot in the N.U.M, I missed you after you quit the game, I didn't know you had come back later.

Ref Minor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galaxyhunter Sojourner on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:27 am

I agree with u Phil. I talked to Paul when he came on Mogwee chat app and first proposed the idea of coming back. He said that he saved the code and the game would come back exactly as it left, bugs, crashes and all. His feelers were searching as to whether people wanted it back, what would they thought etc. When people suggested a clean slate he said that was interesting, then sat back and listened to the back and forth chat to see what ideas people had. The quantity of developers will make all the difference in the world as to whether or not the game will be viable.

Galaxyhunter Sojourner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ole Gunnar on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi All, I thought I'd already shared my thoughts on the OE return but I cannot find my post so that must count as the first chat 'fail' of OE2 Laughing . Anyway, I am clearly in a minority with my views on retaining XP for returning players, although I do appreciate the points that people make in favour of a complete 'wipe'. For me personally I find the prospect of grinding back up to HC7 or wherever I'd reached very daunting....time and the 'other half' place great restrictions on this Rolling Eyes . I think that there should be some incentive for vets in the form of a medium class starting point with appropriate ship. As has been said already, a game with purely cadets whizzing about is not ideal and lets not forget that new players require guidance; a formerly HC player will be less likely to offer his/her help if he/she is busy grinding as fast as possible to former ranking.
One of the things that inspired me to gain rank when I first joined was the sight of larger ships in the galaxy; it gave me something to aim for. I do think that colonies and accumulated wealth need to be wiped as even though Nyridia was vast, the resources and territories were carved out too completely between a couple of factions and players.
At the end of the day I'll be tempted back no matter what the starting point....so long as I can remember how to actually play!!

Ole Gunnar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thoth Amon on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:29 pm

If we started at medium class that might be an idea, if vets can fly around in SBH, freighters and ASBH plus perhaps purchase derp cruisers on IWS I think it would offer an incentive. By all means wipe the game colony wise etc but the more I think about it we need 'big' ships flying to encourage noobs. Could this be attained while still performing a total wipe, just starting each vet at MC1.

Thoth Amon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rayjan Deja on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:06 pm

Thoth Amon wrote:If we started at medium class that might be an idea, if vets can fly around in SBH, freighters and ASBH plus perhaps purchase derp cruisers on IWS I think it would offer an incentive. By all means wipe the game colony wise etc but the more I think about it we need 'big' ships flying to encourage noobs. Could this be attained while still performing a total wipe, just starting each vet at MC1.

I like your thinking in that. But I'd rather start out at APDn :3

Rayjan Deja

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rayjan Deja on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Zak Zelkova wrote:I am really happy that the game is returning! I started playing a few months after the game released, my IGN was Bestulzibar. I was decently active in the chat, not sure if anyone remembers me or not. Anyway, let me offer this to the discussion:

I remember you Smile I was Rayjan Deja

Rayjan Deja

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Zelkova on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:50 pm

Awesome, glad to see I'm not forgotten haha. Nick, I tried to shoot you a PM, not sure if it went through or not. I'm eager to start playing again, and getting back to the community, which is probably the best I've found in any game. I'm going to have to try and convince my girlfriend to start playing lol.

Zak Zelkova

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoploa Wington on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:11 pm

Thoth Amon wrote:If we started at medium class that might be an idea, if vets can fly around in SBH, freighters and ASBH plus perhaps purchase derp cruisers on IWS I think it would offer an incentive. By all means wipe the game colony wise etc but the more I think about it we need 'big' ships flying to encourage noobs. Could this be attained while still performing a total wipe, just starting each vet at MC1.

I agree no use everyone starting at cadet. Who would be able to help newbies that ran out of fuel if we were all in small ships

Hoploa Wington

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ref Minor on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:27 pm

If we start at cadet most of us would be in clippers in a couple of days so I don't see any issue there. I think starting from scratch is both simplest and fairest to anyone new. Imagine starting a game and finding out a subset of the population get special treatment.

Ref Minor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thoth Amon on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Ref has got a valid point, plus how would it be implemented. It's pretty easy to get to clipper and freighter in a couple of days.

Thoth Amon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil McCrackin on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:05 pm

Ref Minor wrote:If we start at cadet most of us would be in clippers in a couple of days so I don't see any issue there. I think starting from scratch is both simplest and fairest to anyone new. Imagine starting a game and finding out a subset of the population get special treatment.

I retired my alt and started over a couple of time to see how long it would take to level up. The answer is once you know what you are doing, not long. I was out of the shuttle and into a clipper in a matter of minutes. By the end of the hour I was in a freighter. Within 6 hours I was in an ASBH. Granted we won't have those XP highways to navigate but players will level fast.
Phil McCrackin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thoth Amon on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Yes, especially around government space, it took me a while to work things out, but I was in a clipper after about 8hrs of off and on casual play. I suspect there will be those who will be beavering away and attain heavy class in a week. If al the glitches are ironed out and new content brought in we can expect to be busy. Whatever the outcome it sounds like things are going to be better.

Thoth Amon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galaxyhunter Sojourner on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:25 pm

I don't see the problem with starting at mcc1. Look, we r all seasoned players. Our goal is not to stay in a tiny ship but to get to heavy class. Tell me one person that ''likes'' to grind! It doesn't matter if it takes 1hr, 6hrs, 8hrs or whatever. The goal is the same. Maybe there should be an option for veterans, start as a cadet or an mcc1. U can't tell me that if u started as a cadet and then quickly ground to mcc1 it would make ur gaming experience all the more pleasurable. there r other ways to restrict the overpopulation of space. And I agree, it's nice to be able to refuel someone, or help them. I think most of us r just busting to play and these r just excuses to sell Paul on restarting the game, which he is anyway. I think at the very least, veterans like us that lost money, ships etc. should get the option to start at mcc1. And regarding newbies finding out there was a subclass that got special extras. Hey, it happens all the time. Beta testers always are ahead of the game at the start, and we r more than beta testers. Personally, I wouldn't care if I found out that. Now, if u made Whiteface H class right away, I'd be pissed at that Wink

Last edited by Galaxyhunter Sojourner on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Galaxyhunter Sojourner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ref Minor on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Galaxyhunter Sojourner wrote:I don't see the problem with starting at mcc1. Look, we r all seasoned players. Our goal is not to stay in a tiny ship but to get to heavy class. Tell me one person that ''likes'' to grind! It doesn't matter if it takes 1hr, 6hrs, 8hrs or whatever. The goal is the same. Maybe there should be an option for veterans, start as a cadet or an mcc1. U can't tell me that if u started as a cadet and then quickly ground to mcc1 it would make ur gaming experience all the more pleasurable. there r other ways to restrict the overpopulation of space. And I agree, it's nice to be able to refuel someone, or help them. I think most of us r just busting to play and these r just excuses to sell Paul on restarting the game, which he is anyway. I think at the very least, veterans like us that lost money, ships etc. should get the option to start at mcc1
I disagree, i think any player new to OE would be concerned that a section of the population got special treatment, it adds nothing to OE but just saves the veterans a few days of playing at a lower level.

Ref Minor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galaxyhunter Sojourner on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:32 pm

See the end of my above edited response

Galaxyhunter Sojourner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve austin on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:41 pm

Lets be honest as vets we have an advantage over newbies already as we know the game mechanics do we will be able to grind quicker then newbies, a restart will make it fresh simple and the game needs that's

Steve austin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Proteus Heaton on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:40 pm

I agree with steve, once you know what you are doing it is not hard to be in a Clipper fast. Once in the Clipper you can zoom up the ranks. Besides, I think it would be interesting to see the battles fold out depending on not only numbers but also ship types as ranks improve.
Proteus Heaton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next