Outer Empires Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changes to OE

+13
Rikk Slinger
That Brandon
SantsDeLaSants
Ref Minor
Ybkc2
Paul Hutson
Vaughn Chisholm
Bosexiii
Hoploa Wington
Proteus Heaton
Steve austin
Phil McCrackin
Rayjan Deja
17 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Changes to OE - Page 5 Empty Re: Changes to OE

Post  Steve austin Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:39 am

Vaughn Chisholm wrote:
Phil McCrackin wrote:Hcout,

What you listed is pretty close to what I had proposed.

In the real world designers plan what they are building inside of CAD programs. Once the get it to the form they feel is ready they put it through a translation so the CAM machines have the correct instructions on how to build the part.

Let's call what is in the CAD program a blueprint. Let's call the translated blueprint that is fed into the CAM machines a specsheet. Research colonies can only use a blueprint. Manufacturing colonies can only use a specsheet. These 2 delineations opens up a huge new market force. On the market we would need another category of specsheet. Included in the new category we would move all the base colony flatpacks and stations. The blueprints would only be researchable items.

How would this affect me? Say that I only wanted to do research? I would research an item, take it to a space station where I would have it converted to a specsheet for say 10K to the government whereupon I can also specify the number of items it can produce. I can then post the item on the market where a manufacturer can purchase it and do a production run.

The deal that the manufacturers make with the researchers add another economic factor/flexibility to the game with no risk to the researcher in having the blueprint pirated.

This also adds more flexibility to the IWS (if we are still calling it that) system. They used to sell us hulls and blueprints. Now they can sell a specsheet for something valuable like a DERP where they can franchise a player x number of hulls.

There are more huge possibilities but I'll let your brains run with it.
/me likes
+2

Steve austin

Back to top Go down

Changes to OE - Page 5 Empty Re: Changes to OE

Post  Proteus Heaton Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:05 am

Steve austin wrote:
Vaughn Chisholm wrote:
Phil McCrackin wrote:Hcout,

What you listed is pretty close to what I had proposed.

In the real world designers plan what they are building inside of CAD programs. Once the get it to the form they feel is ready they put it through a translation so the CAM machines have the correct instructions on how to build the part.

Let's call what is in the CAD program a blueprint. Let's call the translated blueprint that is fed into the CAM machines a specsheet. Research colonies can only use a blueprint. Manufacturing colonies can only use a specsheet. These 2 delineations opens up a huge new market force. On the market we would need another category of specsheet. Included in the new category we would move all the base colony flatpacks and stations. The blueprints would only be researchable items.

How would this affect me? Say that I only wanted to do research? I would research an item, take it to a space station where I would have it converted to a specsheet for say 10K to the government whereupon I can also specify the number of items it can produce. I can then post the item on the market where a manufacturer can purchase it and do a production run.

The deal that the manufacturers make with the researchers add another economic factor/flexibility to the game with no risk to the researcher in having the blueprint pirated.

This also adds more flexibility to the IWS (if we are still calling it that) system. They used to sell us hulls and blueprints. Now they can sell a specsheet for something valuable like a DERP where they can franchise a player x number of hulls.

There are more huge possibilities but I'll let your brains run with it.
/me likes
+2
Great idea! +3
Proteus Heaton
Proteus Heaton

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum